Biography of Mike Meloy
PETER MICHAEL MELOY
Peter M. (Mike) Meloy, born Helena, Montana, October 26, 1942
Bar and Court Admissions
- Admitted to the Montana Bar, 1971
- Montana and U.S. District Court, District of Montana; 1983
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1985
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado, 2008
With Montana Reporter
- Montana Reporter, Libel Resources Defense Council.
- Montana Reporter to The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press “Tapping Officials’ Secrets.”
- Member, Montana House of Representatives, 1975-1979,
- Majority (Democratic) Whip, 1975-1977,
- House Majority (Democratic) Leader, 1977-1979.
- Active in drafting and enactment of provisions implementing Article II, Section 9, the “Right-to-Know” provision of the Montana Constitution.
- Sponsor of present Montana open meetings statute.
Practice focus on public access and participation issues.
A number of cases are:
- Bryan v. Yellowstone (2002), 312 Mont. 257, 60 P.3d 381. (Right to know/right to participate);
- Pengra v. State. 2000 MT 291, 302 Mont. 276, 14 P.3d 499. (Disclosure of public records);
- Billings Gazette v. State Commission on Practice, 2008 MT 287, 345 Mont. 385, 190 P.3d 1126. (Lawyer disciplinary records);
- Elliott v Montana Department of Revenue, 2006 Mont. 267, 334 Mont. 195, 146 P.3d 741. (Corporate tax records);
- Great Falls Tribune v. Montana Public Service Commission, 2003 MT 359, 319 Mont. 38, 82 P.3d 876. (Disclosure of utility company records)
- Great Falls Tribune v. Day, 1998 MT 133, 289 Mont. 155, 959 P.2d 508. (Disclosure of corporate records filed with government);
- Great Falls Tribune v. Great Falls Public Schools, 255 Mont. 125, 841 P.2d 502 (1992). (Open meetings);
- Associated Press v. Bd. of Public Education, 246 Mont. 386, 804 P.2d 376 (1991). (Open meetings);
- Board of Trustees, Cut Bank Public Schools (2007), 337 Mont. 229, 160 P.3d 482. (Disclosure of public records);
- Great Falls Tribune v. Cascade County (1989), 238 Mont. 103, 775 P.2d 1267. (Police discipline records);
- State Bar of Montana
- Montana Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- International Society of Barristers
- Martindale Hubbell Rating: AV.
- Best Lawyers in America (for employment and First Amendment law)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers (for labor and employment and civil rights law)
- Montana Free Press Award, Society of Professional Journalists and University of Montana School of Journalism, 2003;
- Montana Trial Lawyers Appellate Advocacy Award, 2004;
- Montana Trial Lawyers Public Service Award, 2007;
- Montana Trial Lawyers Citizens Award 2012;
- Montana Trial Lawyers Career Achievement Award, 2013.
Meloy, Mike and Barrett, Evan, "Biography of Mike Meloy" (2016). Biographies and Photos of Series Participants. 51.