Biography of Norm Grosfield
NORMAN H. GROSFIELD BIOGRAPHY
Born in Livingston, Montana, and grew up on a cattle ranch in Lincoln Montana. Graduated from Montana State University in 1968 with a bachelor’s degree in business, and in 1971 received a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Montana School of Law.
Was employed in the offices of Governor Forrest Anderson and Governor Thomas L. Judge to assist in the statutory and administrative implementation of Constitutional executive reorganization. In 1973 became Deputy Administrator and Chief Legal Counsel for the Montana Division of Workers’ Compensation. In 1975 was appointed by Governor Judge as Administrator of the Division of Workers’ Compensation, and served in that position until June 30 of 1979. As Administrator, was:
- · active in national organizations involving workers' compensation administration including the American Association of State Compensation Insurance Funds and
- · Chairman of the Association's Law Committee whose functions included the drafting of model workers' compensation legislation.
Has made appearances at the request of legislatures in other states to give testimony and assistance in the creation of State Compensation Insurance funds, and appeared before the Labor Committee of the United States Senate regarding proposed federal legislation setting standards for state workers' compensation systems.
Entered the private practice of law in Helena in July of 1979, with an emphasis on insurance and workers' compensation litigation. While in private practice, prepared a handbook for the State Bar of Montana on Montana workers' compensation law.
After entering private practice, served in numerous government positions including:
- · appointed by Governor Judge to the Merit System Council, served as chairmen;
- · appointed by the Lewis and Clark County Commission to the Helena Regional Airport Board, served as chairmen;
- · appointed by Governor Brian Schweitzer to the Montana Consensus Council; and
- · appointed by Governor Schweitzer to the Board of Labor Appeals, served as chairman.
Has been a lecturer on workers' compensation law at numerous seminars and educational programs including annual appearances at the class on workers' compensation at the University of Montana School of Law.
Has two children, Stephanie and Justin, and is married to Patti Grosfield.
Grosfield, Norm and Barrett, Evan, "Biography of Norm Grosfield" (2016). Biographies and Photos of Series Participants. 50.