Download Full Text (142 KB)
M.L.S. Library Science & Archives, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1991.
M.A. History, Montana State University-Bozeman, 1987.
B.A. History, San Francisco State University, 1970. Professional Experience & Qualifications
Library Manager, Montana Historical Society Research Center, Helena, MT. March 2006 – Dec. 2014.
• Supervise a staff of three in the Library. Oversee library reference, collection development, cataloging, and conservation.
Reference Historian, Montana Historical Society Research Center, Helena, MT., 1993-2006.
Manuscripts Cataloger, Temple University Library, Philadelphia, PA., 1991-1993. • MARC cataloging of manuscript collections in Special Collections in the RLIN database.
Architectural Historian, GCM Services, Butte, MT., 1984-1990.
Publications Manager, National Center for Appropriate Technology, Butte, MT., 1981-1984. • Supervising two editors and four writers (engineers) for a Dept. of Energy publications project on alternative energy.
• Ray Calkins Memorial Research Fellowship, 2004, Two weeks residence at Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives, Research topic: Butte water system. Writing article for publication.
• Forrest Anderson, the 1972 Constitution, and the Reshaping of Montana, Montana, the Magazine of Western History, Spring 2014, p. 41-61. • From the Big Hole to Butte: Origins and Evolution of a Rocky Mountain Municipal Water System, The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology, Vol. 37, No. 1 & 2.
• Montana Place Names: From Alzada to Zortman, Montana Historical Society Press. 2009 (co-author) • Coming Home: A Special Issue Devoted to the Historic Built Environment & Landscapes of Butte and Anaconda, Montana, edited Patty Dean, Drumlummon Institute, 2009 (essay).
• “From the Big Hole to Butte: The Origins and Evolution of a Rocky Mountain Municipal Water System,” forthcoming, Montana, The Magazine of Western History.
• Encyclopedia of Immigration and Migration into the American West, edited by Gordon Bakken and Alexandra Kindell, entry on Butte, Montana, Sage Publications.
• “Diversions, Ditches, and District Courts: Montana’s Struggle to Allocate Water, Spring 2005, Montana the Magazine of Western History, Helena ,MT.
• “The Old Works Golf Course, Anaconda, Montana,” Autumn 2004, Montana, The Magazine of Western History, Helena, MT.
• Book Review, Oregon Historical Quarterly, Spring 2005, Calaveras Gold: The Impact of Mining on a Mother Lode County, by Ronald Limbaugh and Willard Fuller, Univ. of Nevada Press, 2004.
• “From Treasure State to Big Sky,” Montana Episode, Montana, The Magazine of Western History, Spring 2003, Vol. 53, No.1.
• “Saving Montana’s Past: The Creation and Evolution of the Montana Historical Society,” Montana, The Magazine of Western History, Spring 2002, Vol. 52, No. 1.
• Book Review, Evel Incarnate: The Life and Legend of Evel Knievel, by Steve Mandich, 2000, Pacific Northwest Quarterly, Spring 2002, Vol. 93, No. 2.
• “Butte Back from the Brink: Remaking the Wide Open Town,” Western Technological
Landscapes, edited by Stephen Tchudi, University of Nevada Press, 1998.
• “Remaking the Wide Open Town: Butte, Montana at the End of the Twentieth Century, Montana, The Magazine of Western History, Autumn 1998, Vol. 48, No. 3.
• Butte and Anaconda Revisited: An Overview of Early Day Mining and Smelting in Montana, Montana Bureau of Mines & Geology, Special Publication 99, 1991, Co-authored with Mark Fiege, Dale Martin, and Fred Quivik.
• “The Perils of Working in the Butte Underground: Industrial Fatalities in the Copper Mines, 1880-1920,” Montana, The Magazine of Western History, Spring 1987, Vol. 37, No. 2.
• Past editor of The Speculator: A Journal of Butte & Southwest Montana History, Butte Historical Society, 1984-1986.
• Masters Thesis, Montana State University-Bozeman, 1987, Miners, Managers and Machines: Industrial Accidents and Occupational Disease in the Butte Underground, 1880-1920.
• “Butte, Montana: An Architectural and Historical Inventory of the National Landmark District,” by Dale Martin & Brian Shovers, Butte Historical Society, 1986.
Curator of Montana map exhibit at Montana Historical Society - 2013
Kohrs Public Library Friends Lecture Series, Deer Lodge, Jan. 2006.
Montana History Conference, Plenary Session, Water in Montana, Sept. 2005, Helena.
Montana Gem Society, History of Mining Technologies Helena Area, Feb. 2002, Helena.
Annual Conference, Society for Industrial Archeology, Montana Irrigation Practice, June 2000, Duluth, Minnesota.
• Annual Conference, Society for Industrial Archeology, Environmental Legacy Butte Mining, May 1997, Houghton, Michigan.
Montana History Conference, Remaking the Wide Open Town, Oct. 1996, Butte.
Montana History Conference, Hazards of Underground Mining, Oct. 1987, Helena.
President, Klepetko Chapter Society of Industrial Archaeology, 1995-Present.
Member, Society of Industrial Archeology, 1995-Present.
Member, Mai-Wah Society, 1994-Present.
Shovers, Brian and Barrett, Evan, "Biography of Brian Shovers" (2015). Biographies and Photos of Series Participants. 11.